Blood Bank Technician Course
In the healthcare industry, a blood bank technician is often referred to as a phlebotomy technician or a blood bank laboratory technician.
Blood Bank Technicians collect, label, and store blood in a laboratory setting. Technicians at the blood bank screen donors, store blood, draw blood, and maintain documentation and records. They keep patients comfortable and check their vital signs during the treatment. Additionally, they examine the compatibility of blood before distributing it for transfusion.
This position needs the worker to collaborate with the medical laboratory technician and other members of the healthcare team to provide healthcare services as requested. Individuals must be results-driven. Additionally, the applicant should have clinical abilities, communication abilities, and ethical behaviour. Individuals must constantly carry out their responsibilities calmly, reassuringly, and efficiently.
- Differentiate his functions and responsibilities from those of other Laboratory workers.
- Antigens, compatibility, and antibody identification tests.
- Investigate anomalies such as infant hemolytic illnesses, hemolytic anaemias, and unfavourable transfusion responses.
- Collect and process blood, including donor selection, blood collection, blood type, and molecular testing.
- Conduct viral marker testing to assure the safety of patients.
- Conduct a blood test to determine the presence of any viral or bacterial illnesses.
- Keep track of and choose the appropriate medications for dispensing.
- Be wary about infections transmitted by blood transfusions.
- During the process's execution, adhere to stringent aseptic methods.
- Adhere to hospital protocols to ensure the safety of both the patient and the blood products.
- Effectively store donated blood.
- Verify blood compatibility and take infection control precautions.
- Demonstrate strategies for meeting personal hygiene requirements.
- Demonstrate appropriate responses to medical and facilities crises.
- Demonstrate professional behaviour, personal attributes, and blood bank technician characteristics.
- Communicate effectively, precisely, and properly in the function of a blood bank technician.